- Patent Applications, Proceedings, Litigation, and Agreements
- Trademark Applications, Proceedings, Litigation, and Agreements
- Copyright Applications, Proceedings, Litigation, and Agreements
HOWARD N. SOMMERS, ESQ.
Overview of Experience
Attorney Sommers has extensive experience in all areas of intellectual property law, including prosecution and defense of patent, trademark, copyright, unfair competition and trade secret claims in federal and state courts, representing both plaintiffs and defendants in judge and jury trials. He also has extensive experience in prosecuting U.S. and foreign patent and trademark applications, interference, reexamination, and reissue proceedings before the Patent Office, and agreements including licensing matters. He has also served as an expert witness in patent cases. He is primarily active in technical areas dealing with computers, electronics, multimedia, software, hardware, optics, and medical and mechanical technology.
Howard was an Examiner’s Assistant in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in 1963. He was a partner in the Intellectual Property Law firm of Sommers & Sommers in New Jersey from 1967 to 1979. From 1980-1983 he was with Intellectual Property Law Attorney I. Morley Drucker in Beverly Hills, California, and he was a partner in the Intellectual Property Law firm of Drucker & Sommers in Beverly Hills, California from 1983 to 1996. He was Of Counsel with the Intellectual Property Law firm of Fulwider Patton LLP in Los Angeles, California from 1996 to 2009.
He has been in private practice in the Intellectual Property firm of Howard N. Sommers, Esq. since 2009. Howard is admitted to practice in California, the Federal District and Appeals Court, the U.S. Supreme Court, and the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. He is a member of the State Bar of California. Howard affiliated with Montage Legal Group’s freelance attorney platform in 2015.
- Unfair Competition and Trade Secret Claims in Federal and State Courts
- Foreign Patent & Trademark Applications, Proceedings, and Litigation
- Computers, Electronics, and Multimedia
- Software, Hardware, and Optics
- Medical and Mechanical Technologies